I've decided to start cataloging the number of books I read this summer, and who knows, maybe I can turn in my list to my husband, who will then take me out for pizza!
First book:
An interesting amalgamation of economics, history, and sociology, Levitt poses and then responds to such questions as "Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?", "How is the ku klux klan like a group of real estate agents?", and "What makes a perfect parent?". He applies statistical research to some interesting topics not commonly explored in economic theory. Ironically, though, he warns throughout the book that often the conclusions drawn from research can be misapplied, a warning that should apply to his own book as well. What we see in a heap of statistical data, depends largely on what we are looking for. Overall though, it was an intersting short read as a nonfiction that was light and fast paced enough for my summer state of mind.
3 comments:
I particularly enjoyed the chapter on naming children. It was nice to see you this weekend! Woohoo!!!!!!! Summer break!!!!!!
I expect full book reports on each book. We're talking multiple paged, cross referenced diatribes that spout at length of the merits of the recently read book. Then we'll talk pizza.
You can read all the big books you want, but you still only get a 6" pizza--just like third grade.
Post a Comment